Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Brickyards of Bangladesh

While riding the train through the countryside of Bangladesh, I kept spotting these huge smoke stacks dotted along the fields in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere. In Chittagong, I hired in a tuk-tuk (or CNG in Bangladesh) and took an hour ride outside the city, to photograph the people and the brickyards. One of the first people I met was a manager of the brickyard and coincidently his brother is currently living in Saskatchewan. He was thrilled to discover I was also from there and granted me an all access pass with a VIP tour.




The guys worked from 8 till 5 each day. They made 300 Taka a day, or 4 dollars, a decent wage in Bangladesh.




The path to the baking centre for the bricks. Temperatures can reach 300 degrees Celsius.













Due to the monsoons that bring torrential rains to the country, the brickyards are only able to operate six months of the year. 























No comments:

Post a Comment