Monday, February 6, 2012

Homeschool x 24 x The Slums of Colombo

I arrived in Sri Lanka from Mumbai at 7 in the morning. By 10 I had thrown my stuff into a room near the train tracks and was headed towards the slums that are located between the tracks and the Indian Ocean.

When this is the first person you meet on your trip, you know exciting things await you.

This woman was the first person I met in the neighborhood beside the tracks. She insisted that I come in for tea and encouraged me to photograph her with each member of her family.

The Girls

The Boys

Husband and Son

Great guy, questionable t-shirt

Some shots of the neighborhood. Apart from a large apartment building a few blocks down, the whole area was dotted with small houses which many of them were rebuilt after the tsunami.




Cricket dominated the streets and television screens of Sri Lanka.

Killin it


It took almost the full day, but the dude (pictured in the first photo) was able to point me in the right direction for school supplies. It was almost 5 when I started the class, but the kids were happy to see that I fulfilled my promise to return and teach that day.


The kids were happy to start their work. It didn't matter if it was on a mat in an alleyway or

on the side of a cracked wall. They were able to get some ideas down and enjoy themselves.

Yes!

There were 30 kids total, but of course the older ones didn't think that getting their photos taken was cool, so here is the class.

The overwhelming choice for food was fish buns, which the kids destroyed in a couple of minutes.

2 comments:

  1. About homeschooling The Slums of Colombo I know something better from this article. All kids try them best for getting more their by homeschooling at all. I was seeking forward to know about this entry. Thanks for this allocation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have

      Delete