Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Manila!

Chaos, characters, and a city full of dilapidated walls that act as the perfect blank canvas for photos!!



He said the only way I could put this up would be if he got a picture in front of it.
I brought him a framed picture of this pic. Big Pimpin


From Bogota to Manila, eerily similar in ways.


I asked the owner of this shop if I could put up a picture. With excitement and slight confusion she replied "of course". I let her pick out a picture. She picked this picture and told me that she wanted Muslims to be portrayed in a positive light. She explained to me that this picture could alleviate a lot of tensions between the Muslims and rest of the community.

I don't know if it was a success (the girl on the far right looks sceptical) but I'm glad people think a photograph can be that powerful
.


These guys insisted on pasting this pics up. Much appreciated as I got cut on the barb wire on my way up.



Pic of the tree needs to be bigger, but it was fun putting it up.


Welcome to Smokey Mountain. It is a squatter settlement that was built on an old garbage dump. This is the place where 10,000 pesos or $200 US will get someone murdered. People showed me love for putting up the pics and they invited me into their homes. Much appreciated

This guy was the Burungay captain. Basically he calls the shots in the hood. And with those diamond studs in his teeth, who would argue with him???


New Years Dinner





Help from the kids getting the pic and paste passed the barbed wire

Dont fool around in Tondo


Tondo, Manila. This place was straight hood. View from the top of the water tower where most of the steel framework was rusted and falling apart.

A crowd of supporters cheered, threw fire crackers (twas new years) and congratulated me after I was done...and still alive

A long climb up the water tower....



Answering questions about the faces collage